FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is a US-based global not-for-profit group dedicated to inspiring young people to become involved in science and technology. The FLL is a Science, Engineering and Technology tournament held in over 50 countries, running with a common global theme each year. Teams of children aged 9-16 are given 8 weeks to attempt the following:
- Robot Challenge: Design, build, and program an autonomous Robot using LEGO© MINDSTORMS© technology, scoring points in a two and a half minute match. Matches consist of a standard set series of challenges incorporating the current year’s theme.
- Technology and Engineering: Show a high level of skill and understanding of the technological and engineering principles used throughout their robot design.
- Teamwork: Complete a teamwork exercise and show a high standard of teamwork through the tournament.
- Research Project: Identify a real world problem within the year’s FLL theme, and conduct an original research project on a potential solution or improvement. This solution must be presented to the community and every effort taken to see it become reality.
- FLL Core Values: Adhere to the FLL’s guiding principles which include Teamwork, Friendly Competition, and Gracious Professionalism.